Are you contemplating a career in social media? Figuring out the common social media supervisor wage can assist you establish if that is the best job for you.
Social entrepreneurs are extremely wanted in at this time’s digital age, and social media advertising salaries range relying on expertise, location, and trade.
On this article, we’ll discover common salaries for social media managers worldwide to present you an thought of what you must cost to your work.
Bonus: Customize our free, professionally designed resume templates to land your dream social media job today. Download them now.
How much do social media managers make in 2023? Since the industry is still relatively new, salaries for social media professionals have yet to be standardized.
In some companies, social media marketers are treated like interns. In others, they are essential members of the C-Suite.
In general, though, according to PayScale and Glassdoor, social media manager salaries average around $50K per year. Here’s a quick breakdown of social media management salaries in Canada, the USA, Europe, and the United Kingdom.
Data from Glassdoor finds the common wage for a social media supervisor is $53,759 per yr in Canada.
Payscale exhibits the common social media supervisor’s wage is round $48,946 annually in Canada.
On the excessive finish, some roles boast as much as $85,500 per yr on Glassdoor and $64,000 on Payscale. A few of these roles embrace money bonuses of $9,000-$11,00. On the low finish, social media supervisor salaries sit round $42,000 per yr on Glassdoor and Payscale, respectively.
Payscale additionally finds that social media advertising supervisor salaries in Canada are larger in massive cities like Toronto, Montreal, and Calgary. Surprisingly, social media managers in Vancouver earn round 3% lower than the nationwide common.
According to Glassdoor, the common social media supervisor wage in the US is $57,852 per yr.
Payscale found a similar average for social media managers within the US, at round $54,755 yearly.
Whereas Glassdoor discovered some roles can see as much as $85,473 USD per yr, there are additionally roles paying as little as $23 per hour.
When it comes to location, Payscale discovered that roles in social media supervisor salaries in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and San Francisco are larger–with San Francisco providing salaries as much as 51% greater than different elements of the nation.
European knowledge on the wage of a social media supervisor is a bit more durable to pin down, as currencies and payscales range broadly. Right here’s what we did discover:
- Data from SalaryExpert exhibits that the common social media wage in the Netherlands is €74,127 yearly.
- In Germany, you’ll be able to count on to earn a median wage of €35,705 yearly (according to Payscale.)
- Glassdoor finds that in France, you earn a median of €39,039 yearly.
- In Spain, you make round €30,528, according to Glassdoor.
- Italian social media managers make an average salary of €47,303, Glassdoor finds.
- Payscale exhibits that in Poland, you make around 84,000zł per year.
- Glassdoor exhibits social media managers in Switzerland make an average salary of CHF 99,366 per year.
How a lot does a social media supervisor make within the UK?
Effectively, in line with Glassdoor, social media supervisor salaries in the UK (UK) average around £37,429 per year and might attain as excessive as £60,000 per yr.
Payscale finds the common UK social media supervisor wage sits round £25,922 per yr and goes as excessive as £40,000.
By location, social media advertising supervisor salaries are highest in London and decrease in locations like Brighton and Manchester.
Expertise issues on the planet of social media advertising. Right here’s how a lot expertise you’ll have to make large bucks in numerous elements of the world.
According to Payscale, Canadian social media managers can count on the next salaries based mostly on years of expertise:
- Entry-level social media managers with lower than 1 yr of expertise earn round $42,088 CAD.
- Social media managers with 1-4 years of expertise earn a median of $46,286 CAD.
- Social media managers with 5-9 years of expertise earn a median of $54,674 CAD
- Social media managers with 10-19 years of expertise earn a median of $63,808 CAD.
Data from Payscale breaks American salaries down additional based mostly on expertise:
- Entry-level social media managers with lower than 1 yr of expertise earn round $41,860 USD.
- Social media managers with 1-4 years of expertise earn a median of $51,142 USD.
- Social media managers with 5-9 years of expertise earn a median of $64,321 USD.
- Social media managers with 10-19 years of expertise earn a median of $73,808 USD.
Right here’s what stage of expertise Payscale discovered European social media professionals have to earn larger salaries:
- Social media managers within the Netherlands with 1 yr of expertise make around €36,885, whereas these with 5-9 years of expertise can earn €42,000.
- Entry-level German social media managers make around €28,000 annually, whereas a social media supervisor with 5-9 years of expertise earns a median of €39,628.
- Spanish social media managers with 1-4 years of expertise earn around €22,993. Whereas these with 5-9 years of expertise earn nearer to €28,000.
- In Italy, social media managers with 1-4 years of expertise earn around €18,020, whereas 5-9 years will get you to €23,000.
Knowledge for Switzerland, France, and Poland is much less available. That stated, we did discover that:
Typically, you’ll be able to count on to make extra as a social media skilled the longer you keep within the area. Social media specialist salaries additionally are typically larger, so don’t be afraid to area of interest down.
Within the UK, social media professionals stand to make simply £15,702 extra with as much as 19 years of expertise. According to Payscale:
- Entry-level social media managers with lower than 1 yr of expertise earn round £20,852.
- Social media managers with 1-4 years of expertise earn a median of £25,301.
- Social media managers with 5-9 years of expertise earn a median of £32,759.
- Social media managers with 10-19 years of expertise earn a median of £36,554.
In response to a survey conducted by Rachel Karten, the previous Affiliate Director of Social Media at Bon Appetit, the highest-paying industries for social media professionals are:
Rachel notes that these industries are typically massive organizations, which implies they’ve room for larger groups, development alternatives, and bigger salaries.
She additionally notes that the #1 hottest trade within the survey was “Company,” making up 18% of the pattern.
Supply: Rachel Karten
Freelance social media manager salaries might look barely totally different than those at bigger organizations. Social entrepreneurs who tackle purchasers as freelancers normally cost an hourly fee.
Right here’s what freelance social media managers are charging at this time:
Remember common hourly charges for social entrepreneurs range relying on the varieties of providers provided, the frequency and length of tasks, and the scale of purchasers. Social media professionals who’ve a portfolio of huge company purchasers might command larger salaries than these working with smaller companies which can be simply getting began.
Individual comments from Quora discover that:
- Entry-level freelance social media managers can cost anyplace from $20-$50 per hour.
- Mid-level freelancers can cost 50-$100 per hour.
- Senior freelancers might cost $100-$150 per hour and above.
Whether or not you’re an affiliate or senior social media supervisor, wage negotiations ought to all the time be finished with the understanding that you’re offering helpful providers to a enterprise. Your wage ought to mirror your expertise and experience.
Listed here are some suggestions for getting the wage you deserve.
It’s all the time a good suggestion to analysis wage ranges within the trade of a job you might be making use of for. Discover out what an affiliate social media supervisor wage, or perhaps a Sr. social media supervisor wage appears like. It will allow you to decide what wage vary to ask for throughout wage negotiations.
When you perceive your worth out there, go into wage negotiations with confidence. You probably have finished your analysis, you must be capable to determine a wage vary that displays the worth of your work. Be ready to clarify why you deserve every determine you present, and don’t be afraid to ask for extra if applicable.
A social media portfolio is a good way to showcase your work and spotlight your abilities. Take the time to construct a portfolio that displays the standard of your work, and use it to exhibit how one can assist an organization attain its social media targets.
Social media strikes quick, and the most effective social entrepreneurs are all the time on top of the latest trends. Make certain to keep updated on all the newest information and developments on the planet of social media, and be ready to debate how you should utilize that information in your work.
In case you actually need to stand out, think about placing collectively a mock social media marketing plan for the corporate you’re interviewing with. This doesn’t must be a protracted, in-depth plan; even one thing transient and focused to the corporate’s wants can present that you simply perceive how social media works and the way your specific abilities can profit them.
It’s additionally essential to be versatile when negotiating wage. Chances are you’ll not get precisely what you might be asking for, particularly in case you are simply beginning in a social media advertising position. Make sure to think about wage ranges exterior of your preliminary request, and don’t be afraid to compromise when needed.
Save time managing your social media presence with Hootsuite. From a single dashboard, you’ll be able to publish and schedule posts, discover related conversions, interact the viewers, measure outcomes, and extra. Strive it free at this time.
Do it higher with Hootsuite, the all-in-one social media software. Keep up to the mark, develop, and beat the competitors.